Prof. Takayuki NARISHIMA
Professor, Ph.D. (Engineering)
- Surface modification of titanium and its alloys for biomedical applications
- Development of Co-Cr alloys for stent applications
- Control of precipitates in biomedical NiTi alloys
- Deoxidation of titanium melts using hydrogen plasma
- Experimental and computational study on high temperature oxidation of metallic materials
- March 1985 Completed a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Tohoku University.
- March 1987 Completed a Master’s Degree at the Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University.
- April 1987 Assistant Professor, Department of Metallurgy, Tohoku University.
- February 1994 Ph.D. (Engineering, Tohoku University)
- December 1994 Associate Professor, Department of Metallurgy, Tohoku University.
- March 1998-March 1999 Research Fellow, University of California, Berkeley, USA.
- June 2004 Professor, Tohoku University Biomedical Engineering Research Organization (TUBERO), Tohoku University.
- April 2007-Present Professor, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University.
Affiliated academic society
- The Japan Institute of Metals and Materials
- The Iron and Steel Institute of Japan
- The Japan Titanium Society
- The Japan Institute of Light Metals
- The Japanese Society for Dental Materials and Devices
- Japanese Society for Biomaterials
- The American Ceramic Society
Major books and papers
- Ueda, N. Sato, R. Koizumi, K. Ueda, K. Ito, K. Ogasawara and T. Narushima, “Formation of carbon-added anatase-rich TiO2 layers on titanium and their antibacterial properties in visible light,” Dental Materials, 37 (2021) e37–e46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2020.10.009
- S.Kr. Bhattacharya, R. Sahara and T. Narushima: “Predicting the parabolic rate constants of high-temperature oxidation of Ti alloys using machine learning,” Oxid. Met., 94 (2020) 205–218. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11085-020-09986-3
- Ueki, S. Yanagihara, K. Ueda, M. Nakai, T. Nakano and T. Narushima: “Overcoming the strength-ductility trade-off by the combination of static recrystallization and low-temperature heat treatment in Co-Cr-W-Ni alloy for stent application,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 766 (2019) 138400 (11 pages) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2019.138400
- Watanabe, F. Sato, R. Abe, K. Ueda, D. Matsuwaka, F. Kudo and T. Narushima: “Deoxidation of Ti melt by newly developed two-step plasma arc melting process using hydrogen,” Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 50  (2019) 1553–1558. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11663-019-01608-x
- Narushima, S. Mineta, Y. Kurihara and K. Ueda: “Precipitates in biomedical Co-Cr alloys,” JOM, 65 (2013), 489–504. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-013-0567-6
Associate Prof. Kyosuke UEDA
Associate Professor, Ph.D. (Engineering)
- Surface modification of metallic biomaterials
- Microstructure control of metallic biomaterials
- Improvement of corrosion, wear, fatigue properties of metallic biomaterials
Affiliated academic society
The Japan Institute of Metals and Materials
Japanese Society for Biomaterials
The Japan Institute of Light Metals
Japan Society of Powder and Powder Metallurgy
- March 2003 Completed a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Tohoku University.
- March 2005 Completed a Master’s Degree at the Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University.
- April 2005 , Research Fellow, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (DC1).
- March 2008 Ph.D. (Engineering, Tohoku University).
- April 2008 Assistant Professor, Department of Materials Processing, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University.
- April 2016-Present Associate Professor, Department of Materials Processing, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University.
- August 2019-August 2020, Visiting Researcher, Imperial College London, UK.
Major books and papers
- J. Wu, K. Ueda, T. Narushima: “Fabrication of Ag and Ta co-doped amorphous calcium phosphate coating films by radiofrequency magnetron sputtering and their antibacterial activity,” Mater. Sci. Eng. C, 109 (2020) 110599.
- T. Ueda, K. Ueda, K. Ito, K. Ogasawara, H. Kanetaka, T. Mokudai, T. Narushima: “Visible-light-responsive antibacterial activity of Au-incorporated TiO2 layers formed on Ti-(0–10)at%Au alloys by air oxidation,” J. Biomedi. Mater. Res. A, 107A (2019) 991–1000.
- M. Omiya, K. Ueda, T. Narushima: “Microstructure and mechanical properties of an α+β type Ti-4V-0.6O alloy,” Mater. Trans., 58 (2017) 1250-1256.
- O. Gokcekaya, K. Ueda, K. Ogasawara, H. Kanetaka, T. Narushima: “In vitro evaluation of Ag-containing calcium phosphates: Effectiveness of Ag-incorporated β-tricalcium phosphate,” Mater. Sci. Eng. C, 75 (2017) 926-933.
- K. Ueda, M. Kasamatsu, M. Tanno, K. Ueki, J. Geringer, T. Narushima: “Effects of precipitates and albumin in simulated body fluids on pin-on-disk wear behavior of biomedical Co-Cr-Mo alloys,” Mater. Trans., 57 (2016) 2054-2059.
Research theme：Preparation and evaluation of C/N-containing visible-light responsive TiO2 layers on Ti
Hobbies / Others：My hobby is touring. The country road that runs on a sunny day feels good.
Name：Sukma Suci FRIANDANI
Research theme：Effect of added elements on microstructure and mechanical properties of Co-Cr-W-Ni alloy for stents
Hobbies / Others：Cooking, movies
Research theme:Microstructure and mechanical properties of NiTi alloys with added rare earth metals
Hobbies / Others：I like drawing illustrations and music games.
Research theme：Mechanical properties of Co-Cr-W-Ni alloy tubes for stent applications
Birthplace：Ina City, Nagano Prefecture
Hobbies / Others：I like to sing and watching sports.
Research theme：Preparation of Au nano-island films and evaluation of their optical
Hobbies / Others：Game(FPS)
Name：Alexander Mammen SAMUEL
Research theme：Synthesis of antibacterial and bone-compatible bioactive glass films with high adhesion by sol-gel process
Hobbies / Others：I like boxing and judo. My favorite player is Manny Pacquiao and
Research theme：Preparation of antiviral photocatalytically-active titania layers
Hobbies / Others：Otaku activity (TWICE), watching soccer games, recently started reading for some reason
Research theme：Effect of nitrogen on the properties of a+b type Ti-Nb and Ti-V alloys
Hobbies / Others：Muscle training, game
Research theme：Effect of thermomechanical treatments on mechanical properties and microstructure of biomedical Co-Cr-Mo alloys
Hobbies / Others：I like Sendai ramen.
Research theme：Development of Co-Cr-W-Pt alloys for next-generation stent
Hobbies / Others：I like to sing and see clothes. Thank you.
Grade：Undergraduate research student
Research theme：Crystal orientation anisotropy on high temperature oxidation of Cr
Hobbies / Others：walk
Research theme：Electronic structure analysis of TiO2 doped with light elements by all-electron mixed-basis approach
Hobbies / Others：Watching e-Sports
Research theme：Preparation of Ag nanoparticle films using resorbable calcium phosphates
Hobbies / Others：YouTube
Research theme：Mechanical property and microstructure of biomedical Co-Cr-Fe-Ni-Mo alloy
Hobbies / Others：Badminton
Research theme：Effect of Ce addition on the microstructure of NiTi for stents
Hobbies / Others：Basketball, muscle training, comedy
Research theme：Synthesis and evaluation of antibacterial-element-added bioactive glasses by sol-gel process
Hobbies / Others：I like cooking, watching sports, and traveling alone.
Research theme：Deoxidation of Ti-6Al-4V melt using hydrogen plasma
Hobbies / Others：Photography, watching anime, sports, karaoke, paper-cutting, cooking